NM0038 – Junior Junkanoo
– The Most Enchanting Video Podcast continues sailing in the Bahamas with another episode of New Mexi-Castaways!
When my family and I arrived on the Bahamian island of Elbow Cay I had never even heard the word “junkanoo” before. I quickly learned that a junkanoo was an annual, Bahamian tradition that was popular in Hope Town. Once people started telling me about the colorful parades and feet-moving rhythms, I couldn’t wait to see it for myself. Sadly, I was told that the annual junkanoo celebration had been canceled in Hope Town because some violence had broken out during the parade the year before. Well, as it turns out, a lot of people were pretty disappointed and the community came together to create something that would keep people dancing in the streets.
I had so much fun making this story. Not only does it share one of my new favorite traditions, but it also shows you a lot more about why I love Hope Town. I hope it is fun for you to watch, too!
Lots of love,
P.S. If you want to get the latest updates from New Mexicast, please consider one (or all!) of the following:
- Get on our email list: http://tiny.cc/NMemail
- Subscribe in iTunes: iTunes
- Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NewMexicast
- Become a Fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NewMexicast
- Follow us on Instagram: http://instagram.com/NewMexicast
Featured in this Episode:
Copyright: New Mexicast, Inc. 2021 All Rights Reserved